Currently, FREE meals have been extended into the 2023-24 school year so all students can receive one free breakfast and one free lunch daily.
The Douglas County School District Nutrition Program offers healthful meals every school day that are consistent with the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and meet the National School Lunch and Breakfast Program requirements for various nutrients, calories, fat and saturated fat.
The nutritional values of our meals are evaluated over a period of a week rather than a single meal or single food item. We use a nutritional analysis software approved by the United States Department of Agriculture.
We strive to serve meals that not only fit into a healthy eating pattern but also one that the students would like to eat. We must be an efficient, cost effective program as we are self-supporting and strive to use no School District supporting funds.
Breakfast and lunch are served at all schools. Various smart snack compliant items including milk and bottled water are available at all schools during a morning nutrition break and/or during the lunch service time.
Participation in the National School Lunch and Breakfast Programs allow us to offer healthful meals and food choices to all children regardless of their families’ income. Any household interested in applying for Free or Reduced Price Meals may do so at anytime during the school year.
Healthy Smart Snack Calculator: Is your snack a Smart Snack?
Use the Smart Snacks Product Calculator, developed by the Alliance for a Healthier Generation, to take the guesswork out of nutrition guidelines! Simply enter the product information, answer a few questions, and determine whether your snack, side or entree item meets the new USDA Smart Snacks in School Guidelines.
Meal Applications for Free and Reduced Lunch
Even though meals are free to all this school year, filling out the meal application and being approved for FRL qualifies your student(s) for other benefits, i.e. free testing, waives fees for certain programs, assists in enrollment fees, qualifies for additional school, college and community benefits.
If you are interested in applying for free and reduced priced meals for your children, please read the instructions and FAQ documents below. Applications will be accepted starting August 1st, 2023 for SY 23/24
- Who qualifies for these free meals?
- We can afford to pay for meals and do not want to take meals away from students who may need them, can we pay?
- What happens to my student’s current meal eligibility?
- Do I need to fill out any extra paperwork or applications for my student to receive free meals the start of the school year?
- If my student had a negative balance on their meal account will that be cleared?
- Why are the free school meals only offered through the end of the 23-24 school year?
Join Our Team and Apply Today!
PARENTS/GUARDIANS -If you have a student graduating or possibly not returning to a Douglas County School next year, you can request a refund if you have a positive balance remaining on your school meal account!
There are a few different ways to handle this remaining balance:
- Transfer Funds: Call or email the SNP office to request a transfer. Provide the name of sibling(s) or other student(s) you wish to transfer to.
- Request a Refund: Fill out the Refund Request Form, provide the Parent/Guardian name and mailing address you wish to have a refund issued to; email the request to the SNP office.
- Donate Funds: Angel Accounts are setup at each of our sites and will be utilized for students in need if you choose to donate to this account, simply email the SNP office .
1126 Airport Rd. Bldg. B#1
Minden, NV 89423